Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Dr. Trisha


I am not a doctor. I know nothing about the medical field at all. So the question I have is why I constantly go to WebMD or some other medical site everytime myself or one of my kids has a problem and then proceed to diagnose us with some crazy disease? It feels good to know that I'm at least not alone in this, since my good friend (who will remain nameless) recently diagnosed herself with the West Nile virus.


Reece had these strange tiny bumps on his arm. They had been there for a week or so. So Dr. Trisha and her trusty internet search looked at every picture of every rash known to man. I ruled out staph infection and chicken pox and smallpox, but in the back of my head I was convinced that Reece had contracted some lethal disease, but I couldn't figure out what this rash was. So finally, I conceded defeat, and took him to the pediatrician. So it turns out he got them from some strange named virus and these bumps, itchy though harmless, may be on his arm for 6 months to 2 years!!! Poor kid! We left with instructions to keep it moisturized, to give him Benadryl so that he doesn't itch, and to keep it covered. So my 6 year old must now wear long sleeves in a million degree weather and become addicted to Benadryl for as long as 2 years, but the good news is that he doesn't have to lose a limb, as was one of the possibilities of my diagnosis.
Oh, and I don't want to embarrass Reece with a picture of his arm, so here's a pic of the aforementioned patient at a recent Dodgers game!!

1 comment:

J and Kim said...

Whew..i'm so gladReece will be around for a while longer :)
ps. Sam says "Hi, O-V-YA"